Friday, April 5, 2013
today we realized......
Today we realized that back in the late 90's when MTV had that contest to have a new host for the show and the guy that won was a hipster, the first hipster to go main stream and it was all over from there. You know? Do you remember that? He was on tv wearing silly outfits and not really speaking in full sentences or even words and they kept the cameras on him. I remember thinking, "ha, okay, any minute they will cut to something else because obviously this guy is just ridiculous and is a liablity to the success of MTV........" (I thought something along those lines.) But they didn't. They let him run the show. He was on day in and day out just making a silly fool out of himself. This was the same time period my family got a computer and dial-up internet. This was the same time chat rooms were born. I remember choosing a chat room to go into and there were many options on different topics being discussed, however, I soon realized that the topics didn't corrospond with the rooms. I remember choosing a "music" room to chat in and entering the room and seeing the conversations going on. It was anything but music. It was kids swearing and talking shit to each other. I was really surprised. And this was another event that opened my mind to the future. In the 15 or so years since it has gotten worse and worse. (Or better and better I suppose, depending on how you look at it.) But I am watching network tv right now and it is awful. Just really terribly done. Basically this post is really rambling but what I think is that the way we communicate with each other and our values as a society has shifted drastically in a short period of time. Interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment