Monday, February 11, 2013

my apartment

So I live in an apartment. It is nice. Enough. I have lived in other apartments in the past and have loved them more. I can't help but to compare and believe that I can and should do better than this :) It's very functional in a lot of ways but it has carpet. Now don't get me wrong, I grew up in a house with carpet. Everywhere but the kitchen and bathroom. It was lovely. But when I yelled, "Goodbye Superior! I hate you!" and moved to Duluth, I encountered the hardwood floor. Oh yes, the beautiful, or not so beautiful hardwood, creaky floor. The durableness, the solidness, the homeyness, the color, the origination. Just about everything about the hardwood floor life is ideal. It is easy to clean up. It is perfect for leaving your shoes on and getting shit done. It is made of wood. Wood comes from the forest. I love the forest. I don't have that here.
On another wood note, I have lived a handful of older buildings in Duluth. Buildings with original, quirky, woodwork in them. Built in hutches and, sort of, room dividers. Soooooo yummy.
Another thing about my apartment is that there just isn't a good view. For one there aren't that many windows which isn't the best but those windows don't offer very much for the viewing audience. You see, out my front windows I can just glimpse the lake (only in winter). I have a window in the dining room that faces a brick wall. And a window in the bathroom that faces the same brick wall and then a window in the kitchen that was recently redone to have these weird glass brick that you can't see out of. So yeah, not much. Not much at all. I think it is healthy to have a window that over looks something of inspiration. That over looks a lot. That you can see for a couple of miles. Maybe that is just me but thinking back I had this growing up. I would sit in my bed at night and look out the window which faces Spirit Mountain which was/is like 12 miles away. And when I was at my cabin growing up I would regularly sit anywhere, being surrounded by nature, and stare and take it in. Here there is really none of that. I wish there was.
And finally, there is no yard. There is a little patch of grass out front and another small patch out back but nowhere anyone could call home and get cozy for an afternoon of relaxation.
So there you have it, just my top complaints about living here.
Otherwise it is pretty much fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment